Foods High In Antioxidants That Are Great For Immunity
We love to talk about immunity! It is our body’s biggest defense system. It keeps us healthy and happy, and it is up to US to keep it strong!
Here at Team KB, we are HUGE believers in eating antioxidant rich meals every single day: breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner! Shoot, we can even make our desserts full of antioxidants!
Because we always want to be a resource for you, we wanted to compile a list of antioxidant rich foods that you can add to your grocery list! Bookmark this for reference. ;)
Antioxidant rich foods we can eat every day
1. Blueberries: These are high in fiber and easy to digest. They are also high in antioxidants which benefit the entire body. The fiber in blueberries is specifically important because it can alleviate and protect against inflammation in the intestines. We should always be proactive in eating foods that will protect us and lower inflammation. (Source + Source)
2. Chia Seeds- Chia seeds are full of antioxidants, even though a lot of people don’t know that! Another great thing about chia seeds is that they contain a lot of fiber per serving and when they are moistened, it causes them to form this gel-like substance. It stays this way in the stomach and works like a prebiotic would- by supporting the growth of beneficial bacteria. This also helps lead to a healthy digestion in general. (Source + Source + Source)
3. Ginger- In the U.S, we don’t get enough herbs and spices. In Asia, Peru, and other nations, they consume more herbs than Americans do and this benefits their gut microbiomes. One herb they love to cook with is ginger and we should take note- our Peruvian ginger is SO good and you’ll feel amazing if you take it every day. Ginger is the ultimate warming spice and is highly anti-inflammatory. It also helps accelerate gastric emptying. (Source + Source)
4. Apples: Apples are high in antioxidants, but they're also high in something else we think is worthwhile: Pectin! Pectin is a soluble fiber, and apples are a rich source of it. Pectin can bypass digestion and make it all the way to our small intestine, where it is later broken down by good bacteria in the colon. Pectin even decreases inflammation in the colon, which overall would help our gut microbiome. "An apple a day keeps the doctor away"; may be true in some cases. (Source + Source)
5. Extra Virgin Olive Oil: There are many experts out there who believe that olive oil is the healthiest oil one can consume. Olive oil is very high in healthy monounsaturated fatty acids and it’s also high in antioxidants! Remember, antioxidants are so important for keeping the body healthy and for scavenging free radicals.
6. Criollo Cacao: Cacao has MORE antioxidants than the mighty blueberry, yes, 40X more! Gram for gram. Isn’t that incredible? It’s the polyphenols that count here. Cacao is very high in this. Polyphenols are antioxidants. They are naturally occurring micronutrients that can be found in plants, food, and teas. There are many studies that confirm polyphenols are incredible for the human body. Cacao every day in your baking, coffee or tea is a smart choice. ;) We are also a big fan of cacao NIBS for that extra crunch.
7. Garlic: Garlic is incredible because it contains antioxidants that actually support the body's protective mechanisms against a specific kind of damage: Oxidative damage. Oh yes, it is believed that the antioxidants in garlic are extremely powerful (just like cacao). Oxidative damage happens when there is too big of imbalance between free radicals and antioxidants in the body. Garlic helps with this! (Source) When there is too much oxidative damage, it can wreak havoc on the brain.
….So which of these top seven would you try first?!